How to find flying peacocks

It was supposed to be a small stopover. 15 minutes at the Sanchi Stupa, and then we would back on track to Jabalpur.

But as it often happens, it is the detours we take in trips, and in life that turn out to be the most surprising.

It was by chance that we decided to visit the Sanchi Stupa during our road journey from Bhopal to Jabalpur. Our driver mentioned in passing that it was on the way, and so we stopped and bought the tickets. We walked a few meters and there it was - India's largest Buddhist monument. It might sound intimidating when I say it like that, but our sense of wonder was for different reasons.
We had reached here early in the morning, just a while after sun rise. Throughout the journey from Bhopal, the rain had been relentless. But just as we reached here, the rain stopped.



The stupas here were built on a hill so that the monks could lead a peaceful monastic life. Since it is a World Heritage site, the place has been left untouched by construction or modifications. The stupas are all located a little further from each other. While walking around, it wasn't hard to imagine monks meditating on the rocks, surrounded by trees and winding streams. There wasn't a soul around. The air was tangibly clean and fresh and the only sounds we could hear were the cries of birds, and trains in the distance.

From a distance, I spotted the statue of a bird on top of a stupa. Suddenly, it cocked its head towards me and I realized it was a peacock! I walked closer towards it, hoping to get a better picture. I was intently watching it, when suddenly there was a great flutter of wings behind me.

I turned around and saw another peacock fly over my head! It looked huge with its wings and feathers spread apart.
Of course, I was too stunned to take a picture. I saw many more birds and a few animals, but I can't say I got any brilliant pictures of animals. They would just fly wildly when I tried to get close. And that's when it struck me - we've all become a little domesticated, but not in the 'stay-at-home' sense of the word.


We like being sheltered. We love the comfort of boxes - our homes, offices, cars are all boxes. Even our phones are tiny boxes. But the thing with boxes is that they're meant to keep things in.
I wanted to "capture the moment", and keep it safe as a picture. Did I fear that I would forget the moment? Or was it that I felt like I had to share this with others?

The peacock's flight must have lasted two seconds, but the sight is burned into my memory. As much as I wanted a picture, I'm glad I didn't get one. Would I have remembered the feel of it if I was intently watching my camera frame? I don't think so. Moments like these have to run wild, just like the animals in them. Even if those animals are insects.

I saw some really beautiful insects at Sanchi too - delicate butterflies, huge shiny ants and many, many dragonflies. That's the other thing with boxes. They keep things out as well. Living in cities, many of us aren't close to nature. The only flora and fauna we are really close to are domesticated plants, or domesticated pets. And when it comes to insects, the reaction is almost always 'Eeeeeee!' or 'Ugh'. Living in our boxes, we try to keep out things - things that disgust us, things that irritate us and things that we fear.

Now I will be a little clichéd and say - take the time out to explore your wild side. Get out of your boxes and your comfort zones. Even if it just walking barefoot in the mud, or spending a few hours by yourself without using your phone. Don't worry about looking stupid or uncool. Maybe clap during an awesome scene in a movie, or buy some balloons even if you are in office formals. It doesn't have to be anything great, but it has to be for yourself alone.

I saw a peacock fly, but I want you to find yours too. Find your moments, but don't capture them. Just live them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father's Batchmates

Halong Bay, Vietnam: Cruising among giants

First solo trip and all that