Stomaching Greams

In the last eight months that I have spent in Chennai, I have come to acknowledge and appreciate the magic of the spoken language.Long story short- Its thoroughly frustrating to pursue stories in a city which handicaps you with it's alien language. The only other time , I did not have to resort to broken syllables and ambiguous hand movements was when my professor sent me to cover Durga Puja idol-makers. 
 This morning when I landed on Greams Road, I had to double-check to make sure I was seeing correctly. All around me, sign boards of eateries, motels, pharmacies even travel agencies spelled out in  brightly coloured names bengali letters.Often incorrectly though,it was hilarious to see Rainbow Inn Hotel become Rainmow Inn Otel or Bengali Khabar become Bengali Kabab. 
Greams Road is basically an congregation of witty businessman masquerading to be Bengali to play on the sentiments of homesick Bengalis , who play the part of the metaphorical fish out of water too well. 
I walked into Bengali Fun Foodz first and greeted the guy at the counter with a cheerfull "Dada Kemon"(How are you doing Dada). He flashed a grandfatherly smile at me and replied with "bolen ki chai"(tell me what do you want) with a bangladeshi accent. I decided , I needed to put him at ease, so I did what I do best. Started talking about fish. For the next twenty minutes we had a raging debate on whether parshe maach was superior or pabda maach and the logistic of finding good Hilsa in the winters. The rest of the went away in a flurry of note-taking and creeping up to random strangers on the road. Until one caught up to me. As I was conversing with two Oriya boys in their early twenties, one of them stopped me mid-sentence and asked me with beguiling innocence what my cast was. Stupefied, I blankly answered Kshatriya. He smiled, satisfied with the answer. I hurriedly took my leave on the pretext of my cab having arrived. 
What struck me most amusing was that, most of the Bengalis on Greams Road were recovering patients from Apollo Hospital. Yet they had the stomach to digest kachhoris  and jalebis doused in oil and ghee from road-side stalls. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father's Batchmates

Halong Bay, Vietnam: Cruising among giants

Rice in my school dabba